Thursday, August 18, 2011

Garden Success and Failure


Delicious, if small, carrots

Because in my mind, I'm preparing for the apocalypse, I started a garden.  It was a mildly successful mixture of the following:

  • peppers
  • onions
  • carrots
  • pumpkins
  • zucchini
  • lettuce
  • spinach
  • herbs
  • tomatoes

Spot the grasshopper

In review, there are some lessons learned:




1: Pumpkins and Squash have flowers that bloom for maybe 1.5 hours a day, and if they aren't pollinated, they die

2: BUGS oh the bugs.  Everyone is out to eat my vegetables.  Constant vigilance is required, inspecting all leaves for eggs or other abnormal signs

3: Spacing is important....one garden is full of tomato plants, zucchini, and some wildflowers.  A little too much, with no room to grow

4: Carrots grow to be as big as they can go deep.  I guess this made sense in retrospect.



Oh well, there is always fall crop

No comments:

Post a Comment